Tell us a bit about yourself?
I’ve been a captain for over 20 years. I ended up on the islands for work and have called it my winter home for many years.
2. What’s the most rewarding part of your job?
The satisfaction a good charter when the guests enjoy themselves and leave the boat happy. The mot important part of the job is the people. if you have a good crew everyone is happy both on and off board.
3. Describe each of the Balearics Islands with one word:
Mallorca – surprising
Menorca – natural
Formentera – relaxing
Ibiza – fun
4. What are your hobbies here in the islands?
I used to be into rock climbing but that was a few kilos ago! Now I mostly do canyoning as Mallorca has some incredible canyons. Another thing I’ve been doing for years is trail running and it’s a great way to see nature. In summer or on a nice winter day I like to go kayaking.
5. What’s your most memorable experience in the Balearics?
I think it must be canyoning. I’ve done it in other parts of the world but it was never as special as it has been here.
6. Which is your favourite beach in the Balearic Islands?
It has to be Es Trenc just because it’s still pretty wild and there are no buildings there, they’ve kept it very natural.
7. What is your opinion about the future of the yachting industry in the Balearics?
I think the future of the yachting industry in the Balearics is promising. But it’s a combination of private enterprises and the government working together to make sure they keep this good environment for yachts and keep up the good communication in order not to overdo it.
8. What advantages do you think the yachting industry has in the Balearic Islands, compared to other places?
The big advantage of the Balearics is the location which isn’t too far from the mainland with good communication by air or water. Also, it’s a community with an amazing cruising ground.
9. Did technology change the way that you work as a captain? How?
I believe technology has changed the way we work. on hand for the best as it simplified everything from navigation to communication. On the other hand, it’s good to stick to the old ways as this sector is quite traditional so you also remain attached to certain things.
10. Do you think Balearic ports are adapted to the new technologies?
The Balearic ports in general are very well structured. They’re quite up to date compared to other Mediterranean ports. The Balearics in general are quite up to date with services and technology and reservation procedures are easy to deal with here.
11. Are there any problems in the yachting industry which could be fixed with technology?
Technology will be a true asset to help with the environment and how we can protect it. It can also help with faster and more efficient communication.